Elza Bontempi is a researcher with expertise in all the aspects connected with circular economy, with an interdisciplinary skill set. Indeed, she has an extensive knowledge about materials and eco-materials, because she focalized her research on sustainability innovation (e.g., alternatives to waste landfilling), strategic environmental management, and sustainable raw materials recovery. Moreover, she also contributed to develop new strategies to promote the circular economy diffusion, by proposing preliminary simplified approaches to LCA, mainly dedicated to SMEs and legislators.
Finally, to advance the state of play about circular economy in higher education, she published a book about “Raw materials substitution sustainability” in 2017.
She was the TOP WORLD RESEARCHER (first position of reported 500 researchers by SciVal) for the research topic about Waste Incineration; Municipal Solid Waste; Carbonation; for the 2017-2020 period.
Elza coordinated several projects about circular economy, and is assisting governmental entities on a wide range of sustainability strategies and policy development. In particular, she’s the scientific reference for circular economy of Lombardy Energy Cleantech Cluster.
She is currently responsible of sustainability development actions for INSTM consortium.
Full Professor in Fundamental Chemistry for Technologies (from 2011) at the University of Brescia (Italy).
Top Italian Scientist (https://topitalianscientists.org/) in Natural & Environmental Sciences, AREA: environmental chemistry
For the publications list see: Google Scholar
Scopus Author ID: 7004176714
RESEARCHER ID: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/F-3216-2010
- 2012 International prize: “what are you doing for a better society?” (2nd position) from European Projects Association for the proposed project about circular economy (waste recovery)
- 2016 International prize: “European Business Idea Competition on raw materials” from European Institute of Innovation & Technology (EIT) Raw Materials, for the proposed STARS project about circular economy (waste recovery).
- 2018 Special mention on the national ITALIADECIDE prize for the development of a new material for air particulate matter trap.
- 2018 Winner of Prize for “Enabling technologies and innovative solutions for sustainable cities” from the Italian association for the industrial research (AIRI).
- 2018 Winner of the GAETANO MARZOTTO prize (22th November 2018) for the development of a new eco-material recovered from industrial by-products;
- 2018 Winner of the ITWIIN (ITalian Women Innovators and Inventors Network) prize (assigned on 9th November 2018 http://www.itwiin.org/) for the development of a new eco-material recovered from industrial by-products;
- 2019 Innovation Village Award, for the best project in the frame of Global Agenda for sustainable development (4th April 2019).
-2019 Bronze medal award for the international poster contest of Remtech (the only permanent international event dedicated to remediation, climate changes, and circular chemistry), about a new technology for sewage sludge treatment (September 2019)
-2020 national winner of the ENERGY GLOBE AWARD, the most significant environmental award worldwide.
-2021 finalist of the international ENERGY GLOBE AWARD prize, the the most significant sustainability award worldwide
- 2022 International prize: “SusCritMOOC business idea competition on Critical Raw Materials” from European Institute of Innovation & Technology (EIT) Raw Materials, for a patent about the low-energy microwave carbothermal extraction of critical raw materials